top of page



On November 19, 2010, additions and changes to long-standing PA Chapter 102 regulations addressing Erosion and Sediment (E&S) Control and Stormwater Management took effect.

All farms are required to develop and implement a written plan to reduce erosion when plowing and tilling (including no-till cropping). Chapter 102 always (since 1972) stated plowing and tilling needed a conservation plan; now Animal Heavy Use Areas (AHUAs) are also covered by a conservation plan or Ag E&S plan also.

AHUAs are defined as “barnyards, feedlots, loafing areas, exercise lots or other similar areas on agricultural operations where, due to the concentration of animals, it is not possible to establish and maintain vegetative cover of a density capable of minimizing accelerated erosion and sedimentation by usual planting methods.”

The Basics of Ag E&S requirements - via Penn State Extension

AG E&S Control Manual


All farming operations that land apply manure or agricultural process wastewater, whether they generate the manure or import it from another operation, must have a written Manure Management Plan. All farming operations that include an Animal Concentration Area (ACA) or pasture must have a written Manure Management Plan.


You may request a full, FREE copy of the Manure Management Plan Guidance Manual: Land Application of Manure through the Beaver County Conservation District by contacting the District's Nutrient Management Specialist

More info:The Basics of Manure Management Requirements - Penn State Extension

Manure management.PNG


The Pennsylvania Nutrient Management Act Program, Act 38 of 2005, requires all high-density animal operations that are considered to be Concentrated Animal Operations (CAOs) or Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) to develop and implement an approved Nutrient Management Plan.


The District's Nutrient Management Specialist can help you determine if your operation needs a nutrient management plan. You don't have to be a CAO or CAFO to participate in the program; you can do so on a volunteer basis as well. Doing so provides limited liability protection and can fulfill requirements to participate in certain financial aid programs.


All Nutrient Management Plans must be written by a certified planner. Contact the district Nutrient Management Specialist for a list of plan writers in your area.



A free online tool to help farmers meet the regulatory requirements for Conservation and Nutrient Management planning. This tool is very helpful in generating high quality maps that are required for Ag E&S plans as well as Manure Management Plans. The District can help create your maps - just give us a call.

PAOneStop - works best on Firefox browser


The District offers free soil testing to landowners to help identify your particular soil nutrient needs.


Where else can I get a soil testing kit?

Beaver County's Penn State Extension makes them available for sale.


What methods should I use when taking a soil sample?

Check out - Penn State's Agricultural Analytical Services lab soil sampling instructions

Crop 10_18_17 016 (002).JPG


For farm owners and operators interested in implementing Best Management Practices (BMPs) and other conservation practices on their farm, the Conservation District can help in these efforts.


Resource Enhancement Protection Program (REAP) -  Farmers, landowner, and businesses earn tax credits for implementing "Best Management Practices" (BMPs) that will enhance farm production and protect natural resources.


Natural Resource Conservation Service - Offers financial assistance as part of programs like Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG), Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) and others.

Jeff Pflug

District Manager

bottom of page