What is a Conservation District?
The Beaver County Conservation District was established by Resolution #213 on August 3, 1961. Its mission is to preserve natural resources and protect/promote the health, safety, and general welfare of the people of Beaver County and to provide technical services to improve resource management for the benefit of farmers and urban residents.
In 1945, Pennsylvania state legislators recognized the need to support grassroots conservation efforts. As a result, the Conservation District law, Act 217, was passed authorizing the creation of county conservation districts. Today there is a conservation district established in every Pennsylvania county, except Philadelphia.
The Beaver County Conservation District is led by a Board of Directors made up of three farmers, three public representatives, and one Beaver County commissioner. These volunteers study natural resource issues in the county and make decisions which enhance and protect the urban and farming communities in areas of natural resources.
The Beaver County Conservation District is supported locally by the Beaver County Commissioners, the PA Department of Environmental Protection, and the PA Department of Agriculture.
The Beaver County Conservation District provides technical assistance to farmers and engineers, school programs, and community outreach programs. The District owns and maintains an environmental center and 18 acres of wetlands in Independence Township. In addition, they sponsor a number of annual events and programs, one of the most popular being the Annual Maple Syrup Festival held in March or April.